for your affordable and confortable housing

Thursday 1 January 2015

Why I dumped Switzerland for Nigeria – Ukoh

 explaining why he has chosen to represent the Super
Eagles instead of Switzerland.
The former Switzerland youth international was able to switch
allegiances under Fifa rules because he has not yet played for
a country’s senior national team.
“I know that the Super Eagles is the pride of African football,
so it was an easy decision,” the 23-year-old told BBC Sport.
“No one from Nigeria or Switzerland influenced my decision. I
have wonderful parents who simply let me decide on my own
and they’ve supported me.
“I took my time and saw that it was right and best to play for
Nigeria.”
The midfielder, who plays for FC Biel-Bienne in the Swiss
second-tier, played for Switzerland at U-16, U-17, U-18, U-19
and U-20 levels between 2006 and 2010.
But he jumped at the chance to be included in the Nigeria
squad for their double-header friendly against Ivory Coast and
Sudan in the United Arab Emirates next month.
“This is a dream come true for me because every footballer
dreams of playing at senior international level,” he said.
“Few people can fulfil this dream, actually I just want to play
football and give my best.
“The country has great players but I’ll try to take advantage
of this great opportunity.
“It’s an honour for me to play for my homeland and I am
looking forward to visiting my extended family in Nigeria.”
Ukoh becomes the latest player to switch allegiance to
Nigeria at senior international level following in the footsteps
of former England youth internationals Sone Aluko, Shola
Ameobi and Victor Moses.

Source; PUNCH Newspaper

No comments:

Post a Comment